Tuesday, March 11, 2008

PADDLE YOUR CARES AWAY!!!

This past weekend, I spent two days at Canoecopia, a Paddler's dream! Now, for you perverts who think this is something quite different, try turning your imagination to the water, and all "silent" sports thereof. There were canoes, kayaks, and even surfboards in evidence, as well as a full roster of lecturers on subjects complete from paddle methods to cooking in the woods.

I spent the entire last year with absolutely no energy for my kayak. It sat in the yard, looking lost and forlorn, and all I could do was glance at it guiltily once in a while. This year has to be different. It's hard to believe that it's been nearly two years since I dumped my kayak in the sand cave up on Lake Superior. It was cold and frightening, but the group I was with boasted some pretty experienced kayakers, and two of them were able to get me back into my kayak, towed me out of the cave, bailed out the boat, and got me back on track. It was three miles back to the mainland and, as I trembled from the overuse of adrenaline, I figured if I dumped again before we made it back to shore, they could just tow my lifeless body back.....

Anyway, this year, things are going to be different. For starters, I attended two lectures on rolling a kayak -- this is one skill I want to master this year. Of course, this class was taught by a red-headed guy with an accent (not sure if it was English or Australian), and I have no idea why that appeals to me so, but I was ready to follow him into heavy seas. I picked up a new set of tie-downs for transporting my kayak, and a new cockpit cover. I also found a portable deck light, so I don't have to race home as the sun goes down -- I can stay out on the water after dark!

I've been chasing the sunsets with my camera, and have heard the sandhill cranes' return, although I haven't spotted them yet. With the flip of the "Daylight Savings" switch, I am beginning to feel the sap of spring movement. Now, if the snow would just go away!

1 comment:

Get A Life! said...

I would have never caught the "Paddle" connection! HA! That's fantastic.