Thursday, March 27, 2008

CAMPAIGNING FOR LAKE GENEVA SUNSETS







I really dislike politics, and read what I have to in the quest to elect the CORRECT candidate for President. Yuck.

But, I am perfectly willing -- nay, enthusiastically cheering for the world to recognize the beauty and splendor of sunsets over this notorious body of water in the southeastern corner of the State of Wisconsin.

I've been to Key West, where at the very least, hundreds of visitors and residents jockey for an unobstructed vantage point from which to watch the sun slide into the sea. The daily sunset celebration ceremony at Mallory Square, including fire-eaters, jugglers, and various and sundry street entertainers. It is said that if you see a green flash just as the sun melts into the sea, (an occurance that happens about as often as you see a comet or a shooting star) you've seen the "10" on the list of "Best Sunsets".

In Door County, Wisconsin, everything comes to a screeching halt as people park their cars, drag lawn chairs to the shore, even delay the start of Summer Stock Plays to savor the sight of Ol' Sol going down for the count. Some clap, some sigh, everyone appreciates.....

There are more to report, I am sure, but I am not very widely traveled, and I've come to love and cherish this sleepy/crazy burg called Lake Geneva. I love clouds, I watch birds, the water ever fascinates me. I have come to really appreciate our sunsets. Clouds make things more interesting for my lens. Different atmospheric conditions offer colors, streaks, and interesting designs. I will forever try to capture the beauty and delight that I see and feel with each sunset here.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of peers on this shoreline. People drive past and try to see what I am photographing, and never slow the car down. Others are rushing to the nearby bars to catch up with buddies and down more beer. People who flock to the local eateries vie for position, demand window tables, but never glance outside. In summer, boaters are coming and going at the dock, and in winter, I can only wonder what the ice fisherman are thinking as they sit on the ice, bathed in the colored glow of a spectacular sunset. I seem to be the only person looking up....


Witness these few images and tell me you will start to check it out, too. Just look. And appreciate..... Thank you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well I don't have something to say about this specific post... But just wanted to comment on the fact that your blog is super-alike to my what I thought was original one... also titled single white female.

http://singledanielle.blogspot.com