Tuesday, July 17, 2007

WINAJOBINKEYWEST!!!!!

I didn't.
February 2006, Thelma and I traveled to Key West to see what there was to see. I'd scheduled a kayak trip for the two of us, despite Thelma's protests that she couldn't swim and had never been kayaking. I shushed her concerns when I tempted her with the possibility of seeing Sea Turtles and sharks. The way to a woman's heart......
Anyway, we arrived for the kayak trip, and I talked to the people in charge and explained Thelma's concerns. They obligingly rescheduled us on a shorter trip that would be much more comfortable for such a beginner. We had a wonderful, laid-back tour of the little causeway and through the mangroves. Our tour guide found us lots of sea-life, but alas, no Sea Turtles or sharks.
Upon my arrival home, I went online to see what else Lazy Dog Kayaks had to offer (always have my future trips in mind). Opening page of their website was an announcement to "Win a Job In Key West"! The outfitter was looking for an addition to their staff (which they later named Director of Growth (DOG). The plan was to elicit essays/applications from prospects, along with a $10 fee to cover their expenses. They would hold the application time open until April 30th, 2007. Being an aspiring writer, I saw this as a distinct opportunity. I proceeded to enter "chapters" once a month, each time, using the seasons, current news, things that were happening in my own life, and often quoting Jimmy Buffett songs as part of my 300-word essay. Last fall, I received a phone call from a reporter from the Miami Herald and granted a phone interview that appeared in a Sunday edition. The website had a blog, and my name was on the monthly "favorites" list a few times. About half-way through the "contest" it was announced that a famous Reality Show Producer lived down there and caught wind of the unique employee search. It was proposed that the idea be made into a reality show. There wasn't a lot of information released, but apparently there was some brainstorming going on at the Lazy Dog location. Once April 30th rolled around, my name was still on the list of finalists. I waited anxiously for word about our next step.
That happened to be a five-minute video submission, outlining our current life, or what we planned to do for Lazy Dog. We were going to be judged on creativity, etc. I had no clue -- I love photography and aspire to be a much sought-after artiste, but a 5-minute video of my life?????? I devised a script, had my friend Thelma help me with the first segment, then carried my little digital around, filling in the rest of my script, including help from both my dogs. The final seg, I filmed myself next to my kayak in my dry and grassy back yard, with good ol' JB playing on the boombox in the background. I had to take the memory card to another friend's house and have her husband help me put it together into a MOVIE, on DVD. That was a funny episode -- I spent two evenings going crazy with something that SHOULD HAVE BEEN SIMPLE. Giving it over to Matt, I found out my camera records in MAC, and I was trying to work in PC..... fine, I will NEVER get this computer crap straight.....
Anyway, I sent off the DVD, had to go Next Day Air by the time I got it put together. And I WAITED. A week later, I still hadn't heard. I was saving my vacation days for the week they indicated for the interview process at the start of this saga. Finally, the following weekend, I went online again, to see if they'd posted any news there. They had. Seems Amy of New Hampshire had won the job. No interview process, no Reality Show. They'd decided that things were dragging out too long, and just picked someone! They promised that they were still considering the reality show thing, but at a later date.... stay tuned. How do you spell SPLGHFGHFGHGPDPGJGHF?

No comments: