Sunday, July 22, 2007

Everyday Craziness

All right, I do realize I come off as a little goofy. Case in point: I was very excited to attend the Midwest Folk and Fiber Fair just a half an hour from home today. About eight months ago, I became interested in the fine art of wool spinning. Looking into it ever so slightly, I thought I'd check into hand spinning, since it would require very little expense and just a little hand-held tool. When I mentioned this to a co-worker, he was most anxious to upload a full sized spinning wheel from his basement, and my little quest was launched FULL SIZE!
Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on which side of the fence you reside, learning to spin has opened up an entirely new venue for me. That means that mybrain is just revved up at max RPMs, thinking up great ideas for projects that I will never have the time to execute, even if I live to be 163 years old! A year ago, I started a notebook of IDEAS. I carry it around with me, and in moments of repose, I experience intense bouts of creative muse visitations. The longer I carry the notebook, the more frustrated I become, because I DON'T HAVE THE TIME to do most of the wonderful things I think of!
Obviously, an adventure such as today usually brings up no fewer than 6 to a dozen new ideas and variations of existing ideas. I drive myself nuts! I found yarns that I didn't yet own, others that could be combined with what I do have, and even crafts that I haven't yet tried. For the most part, I was able to resist, but there was one item that I had to ask about, ending up purchasing the yarn to make the item and received the pattern for it free with the purchase. I considered myself very lucky at that. I came away with my head spinning with ideas, and a renewed yen to get my tools out and create!
I met a lot of people, and talked to many like-minded souls, male and female alike. One would think that a YARN show would be strictly female-attended, but there is an incredible number of males in the business and they are not gay -- neither are they single, though, as every one of them had a very close Significant Other helping them with the booth, etc. Some of them were involved because they were the ones who ran the sheep or goat herd; others were in the wheel business, and seemed to enjoy the mechanics of the spinning wheel--every one of them could also spin. One gentleman was the husband of a yarn-shop-keeper, and his talent was as producer/writer of the Care Bears shows. He was touting and signing a murder/mystery book and was so entertaining, I bought his book! Get this: apparently he has a definite "IN" for his book, because he has 12 books outlined and plans to release two a year so far...... Maybe I need to stay home and do my own writing......

No comments: