Sunday, July 22, 2007

Reading, Writing and Music

Yes, I mentioned writing.... I have to do more of it. I need to take my nose out of other people's books first, however.....
Been reading:
Finally read Stephen King's From a Buick 8. Don't ask me why I didn't read it when it came out like I usually do, but, stuff happens, doesn't it? Yes, King has gone off the deep end into outer space Abyss, but this one had enough of his old Thriller style in it to keep me turning the pages. My only complaint is that he kind of summarized the ending, and didn't really end it at all..... I guess it's his way of making you consider that there really isn't an answer. I was disappointed because I read to escape reality -- I don't need more of the same!
Trying to understand Photoshop for Dummies. I'm losing the game.... I've heard over and over again that if you GET it, it is a great program. However, it is also the most complained about program out there. When I lament my lack of understanding to my daughter, I get a mini-lecture that I need to switch over to Mac and leave the PC behind. The whole computer process is starting to feel like a soul-sucking cancer that can't be cured!!!!!
I was stewing a little on Saturday. Back in February, I took the bait, and Pre-ordered the last volume of Harry Potter to guarantee that I would have my very own on July 21st. I should have checked the calender. I received a notice on Wednesday the 18th that my book had shipped. There were some strict rules about the tome not to be delivered before the Saturday release date. That concerned me because the tracking number indicated that it was shipped via UPS, which, to my knowledge, doesn't deliver to residences on Saturdays. The tracking number showed on the website that the book was in transit, and out for delivery on Friday. As of 6pm on Friday, I didn't have my Harry Potter book. I was debating whether to go out and join the masses at Wal-Mart or wherever, and purchase the book again at midnight, when it would be released. Laziness won out; I went to bed instead. After all, I wasn't so excited that I would be reading it IMMEDIATELY!
I awoke on Saturday and nearly forgot about the magic book. I went about my day as usual, and upon returning home at 4 pm, I picked up my mail. There in the mailbox was my Harry Potter book. Strangely enough, apparently UPS has some kind of deal with the post office, so that something like this gets delivered to the post office during UPS hours, then the post office is instructed to hold it until the correct day. Who'da thunk? Anyway, as I said, I haven't cracked the cover yet.... well, I did. For the first time in my entire life, I checked out the last page...... Nope, not gonna tell you.... I am going to read the book from the beginning, and you should too!
While I'm driving around and doing other things, I've been listening to a book-on-CD: Nora Ephron's I Feel Bad About My Neck. Nora has quite a resume of writing.... When Harry Met Sally, Silkwood; and a lot of credits directing. I've not saying that this book sucks - I have laughed at quite a few topics, some belly laughs, some uncomfortable chuckles. The really bad thing about this is that Nora herself is reading the book. I don't think she could be more annoying if she was reading it in Pig Latin. I've seen her on TV, and she IS funny, but she reads with a wry monotone that is akin to scraping fingernails on a blackboard!
Harry Potter will be cracked once I'm through here, but don't hold your breath, I am a slow reader.
MUSIC: Need I say that I am wearing out "Meet Me In Margaritaville"? I'm getting excited about the upcoming Jimmy Buffett concert next week. I know, crazy, but it's going to take me all week to decide what to wear! I'm a newbie where this is concerned. My first JB concert, believe it or not. So I'm a Late Bloomer! Actually, the more I learn about Jimmy Buffett and his music, I realize that I didn't like his early music way back when, and I still don't particularly care for the early music. Some of it was kind of folksy, but a lot of it was difficult to understand the words. I guess I'm a purist. If I can't understand the words with the music, I turn away. That has ended up eliminating a lot of popular music from my personal list! I want to know the words, and I love to sing out loud in the car! "Meet Me In Margaritaville" is apparently a "Best of..." compendium of some really great tunes. My favorite from this one is "Fruitcakes". At first listen, a goofy, fun and tuneful piece that makes people smile. But the deep dark true meaning makes me smile even wider. I love the words and twist of meaning. If you know JB's music, you're probably wondering what rock I've been living under. If you DON'T know JB, you are probably rolling your eyes and wondering what rock I'm living under. C'est la vive!

No comments: