Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Recent/Current Readings/Music

Sure I'm busy, and instead of reading, I should be PACKING all these books, but I just can't help myself!

Lately, I've been catching up with the Janet Evanovich/Stephanie Plum series. My mother is the one who introduced me to Evanovich, and I've undertaken this completely. I started out with the "10"th book, and proceeded to search out the rest. Believe it or not, these books are not easy to come by! I usually pick up used books at rummage/garage sales, Goodwill, and other thrift shops. Over the past year and a half, I've found just ONE book, number 7.... When a temp in our office needed some reading material, I brought in some of the tomes I have here at home. She riveted on the Stephanie Plumb series, and began to ask for more. I then went online to my favorite, Half.com and came up with the rest of the series for about $30, shipping included. I pride myself on being able to find bargains.

So, I am up to Three to Get Deadly, and am taking a slight break before I get to the next episode. They are absolutely addicting, and unless I want to just "check out" of real life, I have to temper my obsession.

My daughter has given me the Carol Alt book about raw diet, which is a little slower going, but I want to absorb what I'm reading. I was literally given a taste of raw diet while I was visiting her last week. I've been eating whole foods, approximately 80% since my bout with cancer eight years ago. Studying nutrition, foods, the human body, so there is a lot of information in the book that makes sense. Also, my daughter swears that she feels so much more vibrant and full of energy when she sticks to the raw diet. I was able to sample a wonderful spinach and garlic mixture over sprouted beans, as well as a taste of the raw chocolate/banana/nut butter shake she has for breakfast. Yum! I have also just received Naked Chocolate, by David Wolfe and Shazzie, which is supposed to be the "truth about the world's greatest food". I've paged through it and it looks fascinating! Can't wait to get a minute to check this one out!

Half Price Books knows a mark when they see one. Before my vacation, I received a postcard from them with a series of discount coupons that covered about one week: 40% off on Monday and Tuesday; 30% off on Wednesday and Thursday; 20% off on Saturday, and 50% off on Sunday..... Do they have a plan, or what. I was able to get out there on Tuesday, and came home with way too many books, and a CD or two; and I waited until Sunday, and took advantage of the big coupon. I came away with a couple of interesting cookbooks (obviously, I'm not completely into the RAW food thing yet), and another book on CD.

THAT one was by Jimmy Buffett, one of his later writings, called A Salty Piece of Land. I've been listening to that on in the car, and it is well worth the time invested. I am a little disappointed that Jimmy didn't read his own book, but with this being my first foray into Jimmy Buffett's writings OTHER than poetry and music, I am pleasantly surprised. The man is a storyteller, and apparently, writing fiction is just a natural offshoot of the rest of his talents. I also happen to have the hardcover copy of this book, and I'm so taken by this book that I am following along in the book when I'm getting ready to go to bed. It's THAT good!

Other books I picked up are about nutrition and the somewhat NEW subject of rebuilding your body. I am scheduled for a bone scan tomorrow, and even with the evidence of my blood test and other clinicals indicating that I am free of cancer still, I am dealing with chronic back pain, bad enough that I cannot sleep comfortably in a bed, a night in a recliner is much more comfortable. Healing nutrition for arthritic conditions, and, once again, rebuilding debilitated tissue.

I heard the newest Eagles music on the Country station I love. When the news broke that the CD was ready in stores, I checked it out. Call me petty, but although the price was right: $11.88, the double CD is presented in a cardboard folder, not your plastic jewel case. I nearly left it on the shelf. I know, it sounds petty, but because of the way I haul these things around and they get would be better off in a sturdy hard case... Oh well. The music is definitely Eagles, and some of it sounds a little "familiar", but isn't that the nature of your favorite artist? The writing is good, the music is good. Some of the pieces will definitely get me into trouble in the nearby burg next summer -- they ticket vehicles driving through town who have the music a little too loud.

Other music? More Jimmy Buffett -- what else?

1 comment:

Get A Life! said...

Can I hear Salty when you are done? I've always wondered about that one! Also, you are right about the cardboard, I read some consumer reviews before buying a cd/dvd set in a cardboard sleeve and some users noted it was easy to scratch the discs.