Sunday, September 09, 2007

This Way, I Didn't Spend Much on Wool....


This weekend, I was looking forward to attending the Midwest Sheep and Wool Show in Jefferson. Arriving yesterday, I was tickled to find out I was parked very near the Stock Dog Demo area. There were only two demonstrations for the day, and I'd missed the first one. I noted the time for the second one, and went inside to find some wool with my name on it. Things inside were so awesome, however, that I missed the second demo.


Coming out of the barn and heading toward my car, I was delighted to see that something was still going on. Turned out that the trainer was holding classes for people who had signed up ahead of time, and I ended up getting some great photos after all. I was stationed near the entry gate, and two women were discussing the merits of the dog they had brought. I overheard that they had entered their "Abby" for an Instinct Test. My ears perked up and I moved closer. Finally, I had to ask about their dog.


Their Abby is a pampered apartment dog, and she performed fantastically. I got very interested in the details, and ended up talking at length with the trainer. She encouraged me to bring my own dog, even checking and verifying that she had an opening this afternoon. She gave me a registration form and told me to think about it. Consider this: Abby is little more than an apartment dog -- woo-hoo! she has a big yard! But otherwise, she also has her own, fluffy bed (or mine...) and probably the World's Largest Treat Cabinet. She's nine years old, and if she's ever seen a sheep before, it was from a car going about 45 miles per hour!


Getting home last night I began with the pep talk, telling Abby she was going with me tomorrow, and she'd better get a good night's sleep. She gave me her "big eye" look and circled around , and went to sleep.


We both woke up early and Abby posted herself at the door, just making sure I wouldn't forget her when I left. I got the usual done, and packed a bag for Abby: extra water bowl -- bottles of water, poop bags, treats...and ..... camera......


Abby gets excited if I let her come along to pick up the mail from our mailbox on the highway. The drive to Jefferson, she was ON and kept watch over my shoulder the entire hour's drive. Once we pulled into the fairgrounds, she spotted some dogs and the excitement escalated. She was definitely "ON". We walked up to the stock dog trailer, and she was VERY interested in the sheep that were penned on the one side. They were very leery of her, so I held her back so she wouldn't start a stampede or anything. We went up to Joyce and let her know we were signing in, then headed for registration. Coming back out, we headed over to watch the stock dog demo, and Abby tuned in immediately as a guy brought the Indian Runner Ducks out and put them in a pen in the center of the arena. She could barely contain herself, and I had to keep a good grip on her leash, because she found a hole in the fence that I'm sure she could have fit through if I'd let her go.


Once the demo started, Abby was restless, but I was able to stay fairly near the fence and get some good photos. Things were good. I was glad she found things interesting, but I was still nervous about what might happen later on in the afternoon. The demo ended, and some other people and dogs came into the arena, and both Abby and I were riveted to the spot until they broke for lunch.


We wandered around a bit, and found ourselves out in the back "40" and watching real stock dog trials. The field they were working was massive, and it was ringed by eight-foot cyclone fencing, a combination that was absolute death for photography. Abby, on the other hand, was mesmerized. The crowd was light, so we sat down in front and watched a couple of trials. The last dog totally botched her test, and Abby was beside herself. I swear she was determined to go out there and help. I was watching the clock, and we had to go back over to the other side for Abby's test.


We walked up as Joyce was finishing her demo, and answering questions. As we stood there, she looked up at me and asked if we were ready. "Us?" I asked? I thought we were last on the list, but since no one else with a dog was around, I figured it would be great to let Abby get it over with.


Joyce knew we had been talking about a nine-year-old dog, but she acted surprised when she saw Abby. I have to say, she does not look nine! I introduced Abby to Joyce and vice versa, then handed the leash over to Joyce, who led Abby into the chute leading to the arena. Abby didn't hesitate. Let me stop here to clarify: Abby, who will not part with me in public to allow me to go to the bathroom without her; Abby, who howled all through my friend, Bruce's talk when he tried to use her as demo dog for Animal Massage; Abby who didn't use to trust ANYBODY..... THAT Abby, went trotting off with the woman who had three sheep waiting at the other end of the arena. Oh, once she looked back at me, but it seemed more to assure me than for herself! It felt like my daughter's first day of kindergarten all over again.


Joyce led her across the arena, then stopped to talk to Abby, and unsnapped her leash with a flourish toward the sheep. Abby started out walking, then with a word of encouragement, she began to trot, and then run toward the sheep. Somehow, Joyce was keeping both the sheep and Abby close to her. I wasn't sure before this what Abby's reaction would be. Half of me was worried that she would chomp onto the leg of one of those creatures and take it down like a lioness on a gazelle (we DO watch a lot of animal planet). Another part of me wondered if she would decide that this was NOT her cup of tea and try to climb the fence OUT!


Well, if I've ever had a doubt that Abby is at least part Border Collie, she has rid me of doubts from here on in. She took off after the sheep as though she knew what the different ques meant. At the beginning, she was a bit too agressive, and Joyce was not holding her back, to make sure that she didn't get discouraged. Once she'd just about winded herself, however, Joyce stepped forward with her staff and started to slow Abby down and direct her a little more. There was one instance when she heard the ducks quack in their pen and she realized she could see them, but it didn't take Joyce much to call her away from there, and back to the sheep. They took a short break at one point, and Joyce worked her again for another few minutes. Joyce was working with a microphone, and announced to the crowd that Abby had done a great job. The audience clapped and Abby had the biggest grin on her face (I didn't catch that with the camera, I was beaming a little too much myself!)


Afterward, Abby took a dunk in the little tank Joyce keeps on the side for just that purpose. We stepped aside, and I thought I could hang around and get a few more photographs, but Abby couldn't wind down, and she wanted SO BAD to get back in there and help whatever dog was working HERD THOSE SHEEP!


I think we have a new hobby.....


No comments: