Friday, September 07, 2007

Amazing!!!


I guess I needn't be THAT amazed -- after all, children can operate the intricacies of the computer, the internet and even some forms of Photo imaging software. I really don't know why I find it such a challenge. This one scared me -- I thought for sure I was going to get all 351 images posted on my blog!
As you may see, I am making some progress. I have signed up for an online photoessentials course through hp. I have completed Lesson #1 with a 100% score..... Yay -- it amounted to reading the material, downloading the program (which I'd already done), and making a comment on the Chat Board. Oh, yes, there was a quiz -- hence the score. Tomorrow, I'll tackle Lesson #2.... Wish me luck.
My ultimate goal is to conquer this beast and the other beast, my digital SLR camera. I wasn't really afraid of the camera. I'd carried a 35mm SLR for years, and felt pretty slick with it. I did a fairly decent job with that camera... It took me a long time to rationalize the expenditure for a digital camera, let alone an SLR. I was feeling cocky, and not at all afraid. I had purchased an "interim" digital -- a fairly high end zoom camera that took some awesome images. The jump to an SLR digital was daunting. For starters, because I purchased an off-brand lens, it took me three hours and the manual to figure out how to take my first picture. I was sitting in Caribou Coffee and had a VERY LARGE coffee in front of me to keep me company. I don't know if people were staring at me and wondering what I was doing or not. But I finally found the answer. Once I conquered THAT obstruction, it just took a couple of minutes scanning the manual to figure out how to work a few more of the doodads on the camera. I was off and running.....
I've been a crazy person with a camera ever since. I always knew that unlimited photo potential and me would be dangerous. Well, I haven't broken any records, nor made my mark like Ansel Adams just yet.... I have to figure out Photoshop......
I guess the most fun is experimenting to see WHAT I can do with the camera. Above is my favorite recent example: a jellyfish in the crazy, warped aquarium at the zoo, IN THE DARK!!!!!
The last time I was there, I caught one image that was halfway decent.... some thought, some experimentation, and now some practice, this is what I can do.... Only the world awaits!

No comments: